Another race to 1 Million autonomous miles driven on California roads in a single year was instantiated when Cruse outperformed Waymo in 2020, yet neither company reached 1Million miles. The statistics from 2020 are available here and 2021 will be made available as soon as the CA DMV has compiled and published the stats.
In 2019 Google's autonomy unit "Waymo" surged past 1 million autonomous miles driven on CA highways, surprisingly Waymo was outperformed by GM's Cruise autonomous unit in 2020.
Recent developments in the Autonomous vehicle space include:
- Pony AI had it's license to operate in CA with no safety driver revoked
- Aurora Tech SPAC
- Waymo Geely Partnership
- Cruse Dubai exclusivity agreement
- Musk promises level 4 for 2022
- AutoX partners with Spark to provide wireless sensors
- Indy Autonomous Challenge
It has been an incredibly exciting year for autonomy, fleets have been realized and partnerships forged, the future of autonomy is beginning to come into focus and the next million miler will soon be revealed.